Monday 18 July 2011

Le Mont Ventoux

The unfinished business on the slopes of Le Mont Ventoux is now concluded and the account closed. Making coffee at 6.30 this morning and pulling on my cycling gear I was actually really nervous. Despite success on the Tourmalet I was still apprehensive about slaying The Giant of Provence. Having tried and failed two years ago there was something of a mental block to overcome. This was possibly the biggest obstacle of the day.

As the ride started lead like legs did nothing to reassure me that it was going to be possible. The initial part of the climb is through vineyards, olive groves and pine forests and is pretty much straight in to the average 9% gradient. Being an average means that you hit 12% at certain points. On some of the switch back corners it's like cycling up a wall.

The previous personal best of 11km came and went and I was into unexplored teritory. Just before the Chalet Reynard and the end of the tree cover there is a brutal section of tight bends that averages 10%.

After the earlier 9% and 10% sections when the gradient drops to 7% after the Chalet Reynard it feels like you are going down hill. That is until the first bend after the Chalet is reached and the wind hits you in face. Bottom gear, standing on the peddles and I came to a standstill.

Having left the cover of the trees behind the exposed section of the climb is like cycling on the moon. White limestone is banked up either side of the road creating eddies that can stop you dead or blow you over. Not to mention into the paths of descending cars and bikes. The wind changes from head wind to side wind as the road wriggles up the Giant's spine. My pannier bag was acting like a sail and pulling the back wheel to the side and then when the gradient kicks up to 10% again in the head wind the front wheel was lifting.

The monument to Tom Simpson who died on the Ventoux and is one of Le Tour's great characters came into view and the tower on top of the hill looked like it was getting closer for the first time in the ride. It probably wasn't until now that I allowed myself the luxury of thinking that this was possible.

A couple more switch backs and I would be there with one last blast of wind just as I rounded the last corner I was in the lee of the tower and had made the summit. Gratuitous summit shots below and I brought the most expensive bag of jelly babies from the sweetie stall on the summit.













I had to peddle for the first part of the descent because of the wind! It was pretty harry coming down with about 500 bikes passing me on their way up and loads of cars. Coffee and crepe at the Chalet Reynard to stop me shivering and then full tilt back to Befoin. Defiately a quiet afternoon reflecting on an awesome ride and being thankful that I never have to do that again. Well in fairness I have done it one and a half times.

No comments:

Post a Comment