Friday 15 July 2011

Col du Soulhor

Just having a bite to eat and still about an hour from campsite having spent the day on the Col du Soulhor. It was the last climb after the Aubuisque and I thought it would be pretty quiet.



Not a bit of it. It was rammed up there. Resting the knee I drow up to within 3pm of the top and then walked the rest of the way. Taking care to point the car down hill on as flat a bit of grass as I could.

The route up had been used previously as a way up to the Aubisque as there were names painted on the road all the way up. It was a very thin road with alpine bends galore. Trying to overtake cyclists was a nightmare as it was so narrow. The only way to do it was to wait until the cyclists signaled you could pass.

There was a lot of excitement on top as a spectator was taken I'll and had to be airlifted off. As progress was so slow up the Aubisque all the official cars stopped and 5 media helicopters landed nearby. Great cycling as they went over the top all split up. Lots of people handing out newspapers for tucking into cycling shirts.

A long walk back to the car was followed by a really long and scary descent. Sitting having my tea I've just realised that I've got sunburnt ears. Ouch!


No comments:

Post a Comment