Thursday 26 May 2011

First pukka hike

With a deep blue sky and not a cloud in sight I headed out for the first hike of this trip. The aim was to get to the top of Maly Giewont which is the peak on the right of the photo:



The first couple of hours were on a path through the woods following a river gorge. Lots of waterfalls and crystal clear ice cold snow melt water.



The gradient kicked up for the next couple of hours and popped out above the tree line and turned into a tiny path clinging to the side of the rock. I turned back at a really technical section that required and unprotected descent of about 15m on footholds cut into the rock.

I found a lower loop to get back home and will have a bash another day following another path up the back that I checked out with some people at the hostel. It was still a great hike with about 1000m of ascent.

In need of food and beer now. A kindly couple took my photo half way up so I returned the favour and arranged them with their son and took a pic. Slightly confused smiles and thanks.....turns out it wasn't their son but a complete stranger! Ho hum!

No comments:

Post a Comment