Saturday 13 August 2011

LEJOG is nearly here....

It's time to fire up the old blog again having had two weeks of faffing, training, sore knees, packing and re-packing. I'm sitting in bed having hot milk (so Rock and Roll!) typing this first entry of the Lands End to John O'Groats (LEJOG) blog.

For the bike minded amongst you I shall be cycling on a 2008 Gary Fisher Excalibur hardtail. The knobbly 29'er tyres are hanging in the shed and a fresh new pair of Schwalbe Marathon Pluss's have been fitted. I asked for the most bomb proof tyres in the shop. Obviously the front shocks are locked off.

Much head scratching went into the fitting of the pannier rack to overcome the disc brakes and frame geometry that makes this a reluctant tourer. Extension tubes sort out the disc brakes and the stabilising lugs fitted neatly into the seat post quick release assembly with a little hammer shaped persuasion.

The rack is carrying 2 no. 24 litre Altura mid range pannier bags. I looked at Ortleib and then the price tag and carried on down the fitment in the bike shop, stopping short of the "My Little Pony" pannier bag and pink bottle cage set! On the handle bars I have a Topeak "hand bag" for valuables and the days maps.

Kit has been stripped to a minimum:

Not on bike kit:
Long trousers.
T shirt.
Fleece.
1 pair pants.
1 pair socks.
Fleece.
Wind proof souvenir Mont Ventoux cycling jacket!
Flip flops.

Cycling kit:
Trainers.
2 pairs socks.
3 pairs cycling shorts.
3 cycling tops.
Fleece.
Wet weather gear.

With the other odds and sods the whole lot adds up to 10kg :-) I'm not sure if I could get much lighter. Even cut the tooth brush in half and only have 1 reading book.

Right I really do need to sleep! Alarm set for 6 tomorrow morning! Early train to Penzance. Not sure if I'll get much sleep ...... very excited :-) This is what I'll be lugging round for the next month.......




No comments:

Post a Comment