Tuesday 23 August 2011

Day 9 - Bristol to St Briavels

This might be short as the internet cuts in and out this being a remote area of rural Gloucestershire. Not much in the way of phone signal either. No pics I'm afraid either but I'll see if Facebook will accept them.

So from the B and B it was a dull peddle along A38 to the outskirts of Bristol. What looked easy on the map proved to be a horror of a little hill up to the Clifton Suspension bridge. Well worth the work as the bridge is a fine piece of Brunel's engineering.

I wiggled through the residential areas of Bristol following the A488 I think. Anyway it crossed the M5 at junction 17 and I continued on the back roads toward the village of Aust to pick up the cycle path across the Severn Bridge. This is a great bridge standing out for miles as it is painted white.

I stopped in the middle of the bridge and it was only then that I realised that the bridge moved so much with the wind and traffic. Quite scary :-) Finishing off the bridge I followed the A466 into Chepstow.

In Chepstow I decided to carry out some bike repairs myself as the back brake was very loose. Of course I made it worse so I went to Chepstow's only bike shop with my tail between my legs and asked them to fix it which they did in 45 minutes!!

This is my plug for a great bike shop who really looked after me. Pay them a visit:
http://www.559bikes.com/

After that headed out of Chepstow on the A48 towards Gloucester and then took the left hand turn off the A48 to St Briavels. This proved to be 7 miles of pretty hard climbing. So much for it being easy once over the Severn!

Anyway the Youth Hostel is a pukka castle and I'm in the East tower. Hope its not haunted!!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment