Friday 19 August 2011

Day 5 - Gooseford to Exeter

After a great breakfast and having been "adopted" by the other guests at the B and B it was time to saddle up for another day in the Devon hills. Having found out that the B and B owner, Mary, rode both horses and bikes round the back lanes I thought I could probably trust her route suggestion. I was rewarded with a fantastic run through the lanes of the northern fringe of Dartmoor. Route as follows:

Gooseford to Crockenwell, Cheriton Bishop, Tedburn St Mary then a choice. A fork in the road and lanes called Five Mile Hill or Six Mile Hill. In for a penny....Six Mile it is. This took me furthest away from the A30 which was the main aim of the day but had the most punishing hills so far. Mercifully short but brutally steep. This series of hills took me into Exeter.

Devon hedges are something to behold. At points they were towering at least 8 feet above my head and solid vegetation. Year on year of careful laying in and with a solid burm at the centre. They are SOLID! Having just reached the top of a crippling hill I was face to face with a double slurry tanker. The nearest passing place was at the bottom of the hill and I wasn't going back. There was a bike shaped kink in the hedge so, panniers off, bike rammed into hedge. Ollie rammed into hedge the lorry passed with about 2 inches clearance.

Policy updates
None today.

Pain update
All pain appears to be at stable and tolerable levels.

A huge curry and pint have been downed at the Exeter YHA. I need a bit of a route planning bash tonight before bed and a 7.30 call tomorrow to start carb loading!

I'll post a couple of pics on Facebook as the 3G won't cope with them on the blog.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment