Thursday 18 August 2011

Day 4 - Launceston to Gooseford

It was raining this morning which is why I didn't get underway until about quarter to ten this morning. I found myself faffing which was all to avoid the inevitable departure in the cold rain. The chap on reception this morning was a keen cyclist so obviously we had to have a good half hour chat about the Tour de France and LEJOG.

Before I forget, there were no policy changes today.

Pain update
Early soreness in legs persisting for the morning but lessening towards end of ride. Knee pain rose unexpectedly but ok after a rest. Elbow continues to be problematic and now deferring to the right shoulder. Additional stretches should take of that.

Route today
Joining A30 3 miles South West of Launceston and continuing to the Liftdondown junction. Old A30 through Liftondown, Lewdown towards Sourton. Rejoin the A30 at Sourton. Take back roads off A30 towards Belstone then take road to Sticklepath and finally Gooseford.

The time spent on the A30 first thing was horrible. Every lorry passing left me covered in oily, gritty water from tip to toe. Soon after Launceston I left Cornwall and hit Devon. Photographic evidence below :-)



A couple of miles after Launceston I could get off and on to the old A30 which was much quieter and had lovely views of the moors. However, it was almost as hilly as yesterday and it was hard going with a head wind most of the way.

I got to mid day and had to rejoin the A30 up on Dartmoor and was in need of food. Egg and bacon buttie at the Sourton services and I was good to go. Just as I was re-mounting a black 3 door VW parked next to me with Ed Dalton inside. Bowling up to the car shouting "Hi Ed great to see you" through the closed window I realised too late it wasn't him! Oh look my shoe lace needs doing up.

Nasty hilly bit on the A30 gave way quickly to a great few miles on back roads in the Dartmoor National Park. Awesome.

As my reward look what I got when I got when I got to the B and B :-)


So I'm sitting in bed writing this having had a lovely roast pork supper here with all the other guests. What a great evening. If you need a B and B down here this is great:

www.gooseford-farm.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment