Friday 26 August 2011

Day 12 - Clun to Oswestry

This day is a bit of a detour due to the folk festival being on at Shrewsbury. I got a bit tied up with the traction engines and vintage lorries all trundling along the road to Shrewsbury. Whilst it was great to see all the old vehicles it wasn't great for my lungs as the old PM10 count would have been through the roof . PM10 refers to the particle size of diesel and coal engine smuts that clog up cyclists lungs!!

The route is as follows:
Clun
A488 to Bishops Castle
Lydham
Left at Lydham to Churchstoke
Right at Churchstoke
Chirbury
Kingswood
Fron
Welshpool (re-fueling stop)
I then tried to go north up the A483 which was awful. A narrow road with heavy traffic and the worst drivers so far. I can't say strongly enough how bad the drivers were on the stretch of the A483 north of Welshpool. I have never encountered so many people who were prepared to risk the life of a cyclist just so that they didn't have to slow down. A pox on you all!

OK rant over. As soon as I could I left the A483 at Llanymynech and followed the blissfully quiet back roads to:

Bridge
Morton
Aston

Then I joined the A5 and headed to the Travelodge from there. I got a good deal!

I was asked in the pub last night if I had a sense of progress yet. Probably the thing that I have noticed and enjoyed most is the change in the accent. Whilst only doing 30 or so miles a day there is still a subtle change each day. In and out of Wales today was funny as the accent got very confused. Tonight there is a touch of Scouse. It feels like I'm really getting to the North at last!





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment