Sunday 27 March 2011

Where's the Northern lights then?

Unfortunately, despite hanging around in suburban Tromso (away from the city lights) until I thought the police would pick me up for loitering, in sub zero temperatures. The skies remained steadfastly cloudy and when they were clear, there was nothing to see. I'm not desperately disappointed, I'm absolutely gutted. It's a long way to come to miss it but there's always next year and the year after that.......

I had day dreamed about just being in the Arctic circle and that was pretty cool being so far north. I might try for something a little more remote next time.

My last pic from the Arctic is below, waiting at a bus stop. The bus drivers here are amazing. Driving full tilt on half a metre of compacted ice. I knew it was cold last night when I was out as the bottoms of my trousers had frozen to my boots!!




I was smiling here but frowning a minute later. The bus just drove past without stopping. This meant an extra half hour wait when it was -8, that's no joke!!

First beer last night. A fruity little number from the Mack brewery. Norway's second most northerly brewery. It was a lovely dark ale with a very clean hoppy finish. Rather good. The eye watering cost was £4.50 for a 33cl bottle.

Everything here is about double back home. My latte and Danish consumption is somewhat curtailed due to that combo being £7 a pop!!

Onwards to Oslo and Stockholm tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment