Wednesday 15 August 2012

Turned our nice again....

There is a little post script to the arrival at the B and B. It was getting late and Fairbanks pretty much closes at 9.30pm so I dropped my bags and headed for Big Daddy's Bar-B-Q. Reeling slightly from the Big Daddy burger and a couple of pints of Alaskan Amber I opened the porch door to the B and B. The dog ran up to me barking. Come to think of it I don't remember a dog, the sofa has changed and where are all the tables and chairs laid up ready for breakfast? CRAP! I'm in the wrong house!

It's amazing how much effect where you are staying has on how you feel about a town. I didn't like the hostel when I first stayed in Fairbanks but where I ended this time round is great and I now really like Fairbanks! Fickle!

Picking up the hire car I headed for the Alaskan Prospectors store and got my gold pan. A short drive north up the Steese Highway brings you to the Felix Pedro memorial. This was the chap that discovered gold in Fairbanks and you can pan for gold in the river opposite the memorial.

So I joined the other prospectors and got loads of mosquito bites and loads of sun burn but no gold.

To cheer myself up I drove to the nearby town of North Pole where it is Christmas every day! There are year round Christmas shops and the town receives all the letters addressed to Father Christmas at the North Pole. For younger viewers of this blog, the letters are then passed onto Santa personally.

So I had a coffee and fudge cake on the Christmas store with carols playing while out side it was sunny and the temperature had just topped 80 Fahrenheit.

PS: All and I mean ALL roadsigns on the way up the Steese Highway today had been shot with either a shot gun or small bore rifle!




No comments:

Post a Comment