Wednesday 15 August 2012

Fairbanks part 2

What a day it was yesterday! All was good until arrival in Fairbanks. It took so long to collect my bags from the train that all the cabs had gone so had to call and had a half hour wait.

The taxi driver took us the long way round and overcharged us which I pointed out to the cabbie. That didn't go down too well! She wasn't going to get a tip. The cab far was $14.60 and I made her give me the odd 40 cents in change too!

I was going in the same direction as a Japanese girl at the station so we shared the cab to the hostel. This hostel was a change from the one I had originally booked as I felt really uncomfortable there. Being a gentleman I let the girl check in first. When it came to my turn, the hostel was full. Although I'd booked a room,that didn't seem to matter!! However, the place was a bit of a dive so wasn't overly happy about staying there. It turns out the landlady's family had shown up without notice and nicked all the rooms!

I put on my 'Im not happy about this, what are you going to do about it face'. That didn't get much of a response so it tried my 'Its 9pm and I'm on my own in a strange city and have no where to stay' face which did the trick.

The landlady called her friend John who had a room and called a cab for me. So I'm very happily settled in the "Ah! Rose Marie!" bed and breakfast being looked after by John the widow of Rose Marie. I'm getting bed and breakfast in a fantastically eccentric little place with an equally eccentric host and get my washing done too. Happy days......

No comments:

Post a Comment