Thursday 2 August 2012

Gosh facts.....

The UK is about 90,000 square miles and has a population of about 63 million. Alaska is about 660,000 square miles and has a population of about 720 thousand. About 40% of the population live in Anchorage.

Of all the places I've stopped so far this is the most disappointing. Anchorage is a big, sprawling, dirty and run down town. It feels like people are just passing through. Long term residents have maybe just taken longer to move on than everyone else. Having said that the people are very friendly and talkative and everyone has a story to tell.

I rented a bike today and cycled 9 miles of the 12 mile coast path trail. The last 3 miles were cancelled due to a stubborn moose on the path. There are big signs on the path about Moose etiquette. Bottom line is to give them a minimum of 300 meters and if their ears go back.....run!!

So I met my Moose on the bike trail and he wasn't going to budge. As I approached there were no warning signs just a weary look of resignation, I could almost see him thinking "Look mate. I weigh three quarters of a metric tonne, could run you down in three strides and beat to a bloody pulp with one hoof. I've just eaten that clearing in the forest there and I'm going to spend the rest of the afternoon standing here and burping! Enjoy the ride back the way you came!".

Some random shots of a wet Wednesday evening in Anchorage below......



No comments:

Post a Comment