Saturday 21 July 2012

Prince Rupert to Juneau

The Alaska Marine Highway Service runs ferries along the maritime region of Alaska. Used by locals and tourists alike the AMHS provides a vital link to the remote Alaskan communities only accessible by sea or air. I was told by an Alaskan passenger that close to 90% of communities have no road link.

The ferries are basic and functional and don't appear to have be fitted out since the 1980's. They must be subsidised as the crews are big. Teams of cleaners keep the boats spotlessly clean and a fully staffed kitchen prepares all the food from scratch. It was simple but hearty food.

I was showing off by having a cabin but a fair few people slept on sun loungers on the upper deck. The locals had done this before and had therma-rest mats and sleeping bags. I might try this next time I'm here :-)

Saw some hump back whales off in the distance and have booked a whale trio when I'm back in Juneau in a weeks time. I'm still rolling drunkenly after coming off the boat and I'm up again at 5.00am for another early start on the ferry to Skagway. Various pics below....

No comments:

Post a Comment