Wednesday 25 July 2012

Open mike night in Skagway

Mr Skipper and I have been frequenting open mike night in Winchester for the last few months. Although not the usual Monday night effort I thought Tuesday night at the Red Onion was near enough. Skagway is full crazies so hopefully there'll be some quality acts on!!

As I'm typing this at the bar a cracking crazy is banging out a Tom Waitts number and he sounds pretty authentic!

Before coming out my hostel hosts here introduced me to a new delicay. Smoke salmon bellies. The salmon bellies are cut off and discarded by the fish processors. This discard finds it's way home to fish workers or friends of fish workers to be soaked in brine and smoked in the back yard. It was the most amazing salmon I've tasted and I have an Ollie Belly full of them :-)


STOP PRESS 1! A girl has just turned up with hula hoops. "Dear Jim. Please fix it for me to see hula hooping at an open mike night in Alaska! "

STOP PRESS 2! There is bloke playing in a 4 piece blue grass outfit but he's too crazy to be let in so he's playing outside and they have put his mike on the pavement and shut the door!



No comments:

Post a Comment