Sunday 29 July 2012

Day trip to the Yukon

I was missing Canada so hired a car to drive up in to the Yukon for the day. Back through customs and then an amazingly scenic drive up the Klondike Highway and across the White Pass. This was stunningly beautiful countryside and vast.

Breakfast stop at Carcross an amazing little hamlet in the Carcross desert. There is a railway station, two stores and a coffee shop or too. Very tempted to stop for a fish with the locals off the bridge. There is work a plenty as mining is picking up so it's a very prosperous little town.

Pushing north again on the Klondike then turning onto the Alaska Highwzy and through Whitehorse to Takhini where I are hot springs recommended by my hosts in Skagway. The road to the hot springs was being dug up and re-laid as a dirt road!!! The springs are a bit like a run down Butlins outdoor pool and very hot. After sitting in the spring like a boiled egg I got out and slept in the shade for an hour.

Late lunch and a slow drive retracing my steps calling in at Miles Canyon on the way back. Dinner on the road so that I would go back through the White Pass in the evening and hopefully the bears would be out. I was rewarded with 2 black bears just back from the road and a wolf in the trees on a very remote stretch of road off the highway. Stopping at Carcross the ranger in the visitors centre confirmed that a lone wold had been spotted in the area.

12 hours on the road but I couldn't have packed much more in to that day....


1 comment:

  1. Hi Oliver,
    My name is Jane and I'm with Dwellable.
    I was looking for blogs about Yukon to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
    Hope to hear from you soon!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete