Sunday 8 July 2012

A day in Winnipeg....

I had a pretty fixed idea about Winnipeg after watching the film My Winnipeg and some non to complimentary views from others. It's certainly quite a different place to visit.

There are smart business areas right next to streets that are just falling down. In parts a slight air of menace is quite distinct with lots of private security guards, a local volunteer safety patrol in the main downtown area and visible police patrols. You do need to keep your wits about you but no more than visiting London.

I asked about no go areas and was advised to stay "south of Portage" which is one of the main East West arteries. Having said all that, I think it's a great city. The art scene is thriving with a beautiful and well stocked art gallery. Contemporary theatre and a generally friendly feel. There is an institute for contemporary art and universities. Seeing art from something very distinct to the European traditions was a real eye opener and not just the art of First Nation people but thr contemporary stuff too. Winnipeg Art Gallery is its name and was a real surprise.

The Manitoba Museum was last fitted out in the 70's I think and was musty mannequin heaven :-) some pics below along with some shots of downtown and 'big' clouds.

I'm going to see if I can construct a "My Winnipeg" tour for tomorrow....I'm really glad I chose to stop off here and I'm not just saying that because I have given my blog address to some locals!


No comments:

Post a Comment