Friday 1 April 2011

Helsinki

I can't believe what a difference a 45 minute flight from Stockholm could make. Until now all of the cities, whilst fascinating have had a familiarity about them. Helsinki is something quite different. For the first time on the trip this feels really new.

It may be the change if light which is so stark and brilliant here. All the buildings are thrown into the sharpest relief. Colours flatten in the harsh sun shine.

I walked into the city in the early evening and I was walking into the sun. Even with sun glasses the people walking in front and coming towards me were mere silhouettes and I couldn't make out the detail around me. Such an unsettling feeling.

In terms of great Architecture, Helsinki is possibly one of the most exciting cities I have visited. There are great pieces of work at almost every turn. Before I get the chance to really get around this city, I am spending the day tomorrow going up country. A day here would have been great but it's the only chance to get up to Saynatsalo. So leaving the hostel at five tomorrow morning, I have a 3 hour train journey to Jyvaskyla then a half hour bus journey back to Saynatsalo. I have wanted to visit the town hall for a good many years and I'm really excited. Hope the weather is clear and sunny for some good shots.

In the meantime, a couple of pics of Helsinki to keep you amused.











No comments:

Post a Comment